Platten & Film Reviews rockabilly ska

Zurück   Sub-cultures.de > Subculture Area > Garage Punk Garage Forum

Garage Punk Garage Forum Nennt es Garage, Alternative Rock, oder Independent. Garage ist laut und dreckig, aber mit Stil!

» Gefällt mir
» Rockin Tipps
Rockabilly Rules Shop

I SOLD MY SOUL

Satanic Stomp

Streeclip.TV

Flaming Star

Dynamite! Magazine

Antwort

Themen-Optionen Thema durchsuchen
Alt 24.04.2013, 20:30   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #1
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Benutzerbild von 'Twas Brillig

Garage

Beitrag 60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive

Anzeige
Hi, bin durch Zufall auf das Forum hier gestoßen, ein großer Fan von 60s Garage und Psych Musik und werde hier, je nach dem wie ich Zeit habe, an diesem Archiv arbeiten, ich hätte nur eine Bitte schreibt keine Kommentare in diesen post, er soll nur zur Band-Info jenseits bekannter Gruppen wie Sonics, Prunes etc. dienen.

Twas Brillig (The Electras) - Dirty Old Man

Year: 1966(Scotty),1967 (Date)
Label: Date/Scotty
Info:
From Minnesota, the Electras put out about half a dozen singles from 1965-67 that were admirably ferocious slabs of garage punk, with generous shades of both pop and psychedelia. The group were heavily indebted to the British Invasion sound of the Yardbirds, Zombies, and others, though on several of their tracks they in fact sounded like a slightly rawer version of Paul Revere & the Raiders. That was never more true than on their regional hit "Dirty Old Man," with its menacing unison fuzz guitar and organ lines. A hit in Minneapolis, "Dirty Old Man" was, like most of the Electras' material, written by their producer, Warren Kendrick. The best of their other singles were "You Love," which had something of a garage Zombies feel, and the riff-driven "Soul Searchin'."

For legal reasons, the group changed their name from the Electras to 'Twas Brillig for a few singles in 1966, including one that was licensed to the CBS subsidiary Date (although the A-side, "Dirty Ol' Man," had already come out under the Electras name for Kendrick's label, Scotty). Certainly a better name than 'Twas Brillig could have been chosen; indeed, it's hard to imagine that a worse one could have been chosen. Moreover, the confusion surrounding the name change, which saw "Dirty Ol' Man" reissued under the 'Twas Brillig billing not once but three times, probably hurt the band in the long run.
'Twas Brillig ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten

Share with Facebook
Alt 24.04.2013, 21:04   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #2
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Rogues - Wanted: Dead Or Alive

Year: 1965
Label: Living Legend
Info:
Michael Lloyd formed the Rogues while he was at Hollywood Professional School. It was his third band after the surf instrumental group the New Dimensions and the vocal version of the Dimensions, the Alley Kats.

Shaun Harris met Lloyd while playing bass in another band at Hollywood Professional, the Snowmen, who had recorded “Ski Storm” with Kim Fowley producing. Shaun joined the Rogues in time to help produce their only 45, “Wanted: Dead or Alive”/”One Day.”

“Wanted: Dead or Alive” is basically “Hey Joe” with altered lyrics, despite the songwriting credit to Harris and Lloyd. It’s an unusual version though, with ethereal harmonies and a guitar solo accompanied by a change in rhythm that just manages to stay on track. On the flip is Michael Lloyd’s excellent “One Day”, which demonstrates the direction his songwriting was heading in.
http://www.garagehangover.com/rogues/

Geändert von 'Twas Brillig (25.04.2013 um 11:45 Uhr)

Rockabilly Onlineshop
Alt 24.04.2013, 21:25   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #3
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

Keith Kessler - Don't Crowd Me

Year: 1968
Label: MTW
Info:
Keith Kessler recorded “Don’t Crowd Me” at Kearney Barton’s Audio Recording Studio at 2227 5th Avenue in Seattle in 1966, using musicians from Keith’s group, the Impulses.

The Impulses formed in Bellevue (just across Lake Washington from Seattle) in 1964 and included Michael Elliot on lead guitar, Jack Joseph on rhythm, Keith on keyboards and vocals, Jim Simmons on bass and Lew McCall on drums. After the session for “Don’t Crowd Me”, Doug Holloway replaced Lew on drums. The Impulses split around 1967 and Keith joined Calliope for a time but left before they signed to Buddah.

“Don’t Crowd Me” wouldn’t be released for two years, and it was only with some luck that it was issued at all.

During the summer of 1968, Mike Wing, a Bellevue musician and intern at Audio Recording, liked one of Keith’s original songs “Sunshine Morning” enough to set up a publishing company and finance the recording, pressing and promotion of the record. Keith’s 1966 recording “Don’t Crowd Me” filled in for the b-side, and they released the record and sleeve in August. “Sunshine Morning” didn’t hit, but “Don’t Crowd Me” deserves to be ranked among the top examples of the tough Pacific Northwest sound.
http://www.garagehangover.com/keithkessler/

Geändert von 'Twas Brillig (25.04.2013 um 11:47 Uhr)

Alt 25.04.2013, 10:26   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #4
Farmbeater
Icke Rocker, Icke Roller

Benutzerbild von Farmbeater

Rockabilly Psychobilly Meteors

Standard

Zitat:
Zitat von 'Twas Brillig Beitrag anzeigen
Keith Kessler - Don't Crowd Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDwXI16AV18

Year: 1968
Label: MTW
Info:
Keith Kessler recorded “Don’t Crowd Me” at Kearney Barton’s Audio Recording Studio at 2227 5th Avenue in Seattle in 1966, using musicians from Keith’s group, the Impulses.

The Impulses formed in Bellevue (just across Lake Washington from Seattle) in 1964 and included Michael Elliot on lead guitar, Jack Joseph on rhythm, Keith on keyboards and vocals, Jim Simmons on bass and Lew McCall on drums. After the session for “Don’t Crowd Me”, Doug Holloway replaced Lew on drums. The Impulses split around 1967 and Keith joined Calliope for a time but left before they signed to Buddah.

“Don’t Crowd Me” wouldn’t be released for two years, and it was only with some luck that it was issued at all.

During the summer of 1968, Mike Wing, a Bellevue musician and intern at Audio Recording, liked one of Keith’s original songs “Sunshine Morning” enough to set up a publishing company and finance the recording, pressing and promotion of the record. Keith’s 1966 recording “Don’t Crowd Me” filled in for the b-side, and they released the record and sleeve in August. “Sunshine Morning” didn’t hit, but “Don’t Crowd Me” deserves to be ranked among the top examples of the tough Pacific Northwest sound.
Bist Du der Macher der "garagehangover.com" -Seite?
Falls nicht, solltest Du die Quelle Deines literarischen Outputs hier mit angeben

3 Danke erhalten.
Alt 25.04.2013, 11:56   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #5
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

Richard Pash And The Backdoor Society - I'm The Kind

Year: 1967
Label: Shoremen
Info:
Richard Pash and the Backdoor Society were a group that was formed for one and only one reason - to play as a house band for a nightclub in Avon Lake called the Tropicana. The group was fronted by Richard("Dick"), a singer who had started his career in Oklahoma but ended up in Lorain with nothing but a station wagon and the clothes on his back - so the legend goes. He was rumored to have been married several times and was probably about 25 when the group formed.

In the summer or fall of '67, Bob Huge proposed the group make a 45, so they made a date for Cleveland Recording to lay down some original songs. "I'm Getting Better" was intended as the A-side, a slow pop number not unlike a Johnny Rivers track, written by Pash with Huge's assitance. The orchestration was provided by the Cleveland Orchestra, and the Snapshots were the backing vocal group. On the flip side they recorded a song that seems to have been a collaboration betweem Hoffman and Dull, the fierce garage fuzz raver "I'm the Kind". Pash provided the words which may or may not be taken as autobiographical. The feedback from Dull's Fender Jaguar guitar at the start alledgedly was intended to scare programmers into flipping the record back to "I'm Getting Better"! The drum track was recorded seperately and mixed in to the final recording. This was done in anticipation of Kuhn's departure, so that another drummer could lay down his take. Kuhn stayed with the band but left some months later. A third and still unreleased song was recorded, a Pash composition called "Moon Slave". This song was a "ballad" with prominent organ.

The record was issued on the Shoremen label, naturally, and 1000 copies were pressed, 500 for sale at the club and local stores, 500 for distribution by Midwest out of Cleveland. It's not clear how much local play the record received, but Huge got report of airplay on KWFB in LA.
http://www.buckeyebeat.com/backdoor.html

Alt 25.04.2013, 12:19   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #6
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Dark Horsemen - You Lied

Year: 1966
Label: private press
Info:

The Dark Horsemen truly started in the garage, and the living room, D.W. Roof opened 'The Stable' south of Lake City where they played on weekends when they weren't on the road.

Sadly this was the only record for them. Mack Lane was killed in a tragic auto accident. Mack Bently died of hepititis from a blood tranfusion, Tom joined the Navy in 1968 during the Vietnam War, played some back up while living near Atlanta in the 70's and 80's, Dave played with The Jades, Seth, and Let's Honk. Dave Roof and Tom Roof now reside in Boiling Springs N.C.
Writen and sang by Mack Lane, Mack Bently (guitar), Tom Roof (keyboards), Dave Roof (drummer and founder) from their 1966 record, flipside 'Girl Stand by Me'.
http://psychspaniolos.blogspot.de/20...and-by-me.html

Alt 25.04.2013, 12:27   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #7
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Young Tyrants - I Try!

Label: IN
Info:
One of the leading bands in the Rochester, NY area, the Young Tyrants were Carl Lundquist lead guitar and vocals, Lou Grillo lead vocals, Julio Lora rhythm guitar, Mike Zazzaro bass and Mike Montoya drums. They were heavily influenced by the Young Rascals, even adding “Young” to their band name in imitation, but came up with a sound all their own by the time they recorded their only 45.

Fine Records Studio owner Vince Jans signed the band after hearing their live show over the phone. In September 1967, they recorded an album’s worth of songs at one session, mostly typical cover versions off the day along with two original songs and a couple instrumentals.

Jans let them release the two originals for their only 45. “I Try” starts off with Carl’s trilling guitar riff taken from the intro to the Buster’s surf classic, “Bust Out”, then turns into a fantastic rocker as the band kicks in. “She Don’t Got The Right” simmers with resentment: “She’s got the right to say/ she don’t want my kind/but she don’t got the right/ to take away my pride.”

Lou Grillo wrote “I Try”, although there are no credits on the label, while Carl Lundquist wrote “She Don’t Got the Right”. 500 copies were pressed on the In label and sold at their shows, at venues like the New Patriot Club in Hornell. The only radio play it received was on local Rochester station WSAY.
http://www.garagehangover.com/youngtyrants/

Alt 25.04.2013, 19:04   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #8
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

Danny's Reasons - Triangles

Label: Carnaby
Info:
...1967: The band records their second 45: “Under My Thumb” and “Triangles” on the Carnaby label. The 45 is recorded at Kay Bank in Minneapolis. “Under My Thumb” is a Stones song and “Triangles” is an original song written by Skip Dahlin (bass player and singer with The Accents), Frank Marino and Danny Stevens. Carnaby is a reference to the fashion district in London located on Carnaby Street. Dayton’s opened a Carnaby Street fashion store that featured “Mod” clothing that was very popular throughout the entire British Invasion period.

The 45 gets local airplay on WDGY and gets the band on the Michael Douglas Show in New York City and the band plays a number of New York clubs...
http://minniepaulmusic.com/?page_id=217

Rockabilly Onlineshop
Alt 25.04.2013, 19:15   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #9
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

State Of Mind - Move

Label: Chavis
Info:
The State of Mind were from Wilmington, Delaware. “Move”, the first of their two 45s on the Chavis label, is their best, though “Make You Cry” isn’t far behind. Both have good guitar breaks, but while the solo on “Move” uses lots of echo, “Make You Cry” has a tougher attack. They sound almost like different bands, and I guessed the two 45s were recorded at least a year apart. “Goin’ Away” is a mellower song with good vocal harmonies.

“Move” was written by B. Sayers and James Booth, its flip “If He Comes Back” was written by Paul Murtagh, who played guitar, keyboards and did vocals for the group.

In the summer of 1966, the groups then business manager, Jim Booth’s mother, placed a call to a local Wilmington record company, Chavis Records and its president, James Chavis, agreed to audition the band based on a poor quality tape submitted to him. He called a few days later and asked if he could hear the band live so he was invited to one of their practices, held in the drummer’s basement. Chavis was impressed and several weeks later the State of Mind signed a contract to record 6 record sides over a 2 year period.
The band recorded its first single at Virtue Studios on Broad Street in Philadelphia...
http://www.garagehangover.com/stateofmind/

Alt 25.04.2013, 19:59   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #10
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Sons Of Adam - Saturday's Son

Label: DECCA
Info:
The Sons of Adam were an American rock band, originally from Maryland, but primarily active in California, in the 1960s. The band is notable for its membership including Randy Holden, later of The Other Half and Blue Cheer, and Michael Stuart, later of Love.

Previously known as the Fender IV when they began in Baltimore in 1962, the band then moved to Southern California and became a frequent attraction at clubs on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles. The Sons of Adam were provided with their new name by record producer Kim Fowley. The band's musical direction shifted dramatically with the British Invasion and Beatlemania. The popularity of surf music waned, and their style changed to vocal-based R&B and rock songs. They made a brief appearance playing in a nightclub scene in the 1965 movie, The Slender Thread starring Anne Bancroft.

They are, perhaps, best remembered for the song, "Saturday's Son," an anthem of alienation released in 1966, featuring Randy Holden on lead guitar and vocals. Later that year, Holden left the band to join The Other Half. The Sons of Adam continued to play and record with Craig Tarwater (later in The Daily Flash) replacing Holden on lead guitar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Adam

Antwort

Zurück   Sub-cultures.de > Subculture Area > Garage Punk Garage Forum

Stichworte
60sgaragepsychdatabase

Themen-Optionen Thema durchsuchen
Thema durchsuchen:

Erweiterte Suche