Platten & Film Reviews rockabilly ska

Zurück   Sub-cultures.de > Subculture Area > Garage Punk Garage Forum

Garage Punk Garage Forum Nennt es Garage, Alternative Rock, oder Independent. Garage ist laut und dreckig, aber mit Stil!

» Gefällt mir
» Rockin Tipps
Rockabilly Rules Shop

I SOLD MY SOUL

Satanic Stomp

Streeclip.TV

Flaming Star

Dynamite! Magazine

Antwort

Themen-Optionen Thema durchsuchen
Alt 26.04.2013, 10:09   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #11
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Benutzerbild von 'Twas Brillig

Garage

Standard

Anzeige
The Bonne Villes - Tell Me

Year: 1966
Label: Pyramid
Info:
...One such outfit was Milwaukee's Bonnevilles, a high-voltage combo that mined a largely instrumental turf with guest vocalists thrown in for good measure. With a lineup of guitar, bass, organ, sax and drums, the band (not to be confused with the Bonnevilles surf group from California or the Detroit 1960s teen band known as the Motor City Bonnevilles) cut their first records for the Drum Boy label out of Chicago in 1963, although a suspect single on Coral in 1961 remains a possible debut disc. Singles featuring the band backing vocalists Bobby Merkt and 12-year-old female chirper Wendy Colby were issued first, followed by the band's lone album, The Bonnevilles In Action. This album contained the Drum Boy singles and new material from the band's set list and was reissued again in 1964 with a new cover as Meet The Bonnevilles in an attempt to capitalize on the success of the Beatles, quickly becoming a staple of the $1.98 cutout bins. The band continued to cut 45s into the mid-'60s for Fenway ("Sky Dive"), Spotlight ("I'm Walking the Dog") and Pyramid ("Tell Me"). In 1966, the band reformed as the Skunks, issuing another spate of singles on Teen Town, USA...
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/bonnevilles-mn0000936298
'Twas Brillig ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten

Share with Facebook
Alt 26.04.2013, 10:29   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #12
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Quests - Shadows In The Night

Label: FENTON
Info:

Bob Fritzen: "To the best of my memory, Joe Suchocki and I formed The Quests in the fall of 1964. It began primarily by both of us buying guitars and just beginning to practice together. Jim Nixon on the organ and Bob Dengate on bass then followed. The group was finally finished, at this initial level, with Jerry Szyszko on drums. We had all been students and graduates of West Catholic High School in Grand Rapids, Michigan before moving on to Grand Rapids Junior College (GRJC). Many of the original planning sessions associated with the band were completed in the commons area at GRJC. It was with this group that we played our first performance in downtown Grand Rapids, at a teen club called The Pit. It held several hundred people and was so packed at the time that it was almost impossible to walk from one end of the room to the other. With screaming fans no more than three feet in front of us, it certainly was an exciting place to begin. After successfully playing there several times we began to branch out to other venues."

"Our second major effort was another song I'd written with Lyle's assist creating the arrangement, ‘Shadows In the Night.’ The flip side, ‘I'm Tempted,’ was primarily written by Lyle with my assist. ‘Shadows’ was an immediate hit on the charts and we were very sure it was going to number one. As more records were sold, however, some parents were very perturbed with some of the lyrics from ‘I'm Tempted.’ The radio stations contacted us with news that they were receiving numerous calls relative to the alleged sexual content within the lyrics. Within approximately a month ‘Shadows In The Night’ was off the air. This was very disappointing, in that through the years it has become the most popular song that we recorded. In fact, ‘I'm Tempted’ has also become very well received in the annals of garage music. I guess it's safe to say that we're somewhat ahead of our time. This event may have had more effect upon our long term potential than any other."
http://www.60sgaragebands.com/quests.html

Alt 26.04.2013, 15:30   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #13
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

Bohemian Vendetta - Enough

Year: 1967
Label: United Artists
Info:
They started life as The Bohemians with the line up as follows: Arthur Muglia(aka Brian Cooke), vocals/organ; Victor Muglia, bass; Randy Pollock, rhythm guitar; Richie Sorrento, drums; Richard Martinez, lead guitar. The name was changed in '66 around the time they recorded their first demo, Like Stoned/Irresistible.

Richard Martinez left to join The Cats Meow (who had a few singles on Decca) and Richie Sorrentino quit. They were replaced by Chuck Monica(drums) and Nick Manzi (guitar) from The Rustics. Three songs were recorded at Ultra-Sonic Studios on Long Island around the fall of '66: How Does It Feel, Enough, Half the Time.

In '67 United Artists released Enough and it got a spot on Dick Clarks 'Rate a Record'. Also in '67, they recorded demos and played various gigs at places like the Action House with bands like The Vagrants and Vanilla Fudge.

http://www.myspace.com/bohemianvendetta

Alt 26.04.2013, 15:45   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #14
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The JuJus - You Treat Me Bad

Year: 1965
Label: Fenton

The JuJus - I'm Really Sorry

Label: United(Fenton)
Info:
The JuJus started as a trio doing a parody of the Beatles at Godwin high school in Grand Rapids in 1963. Members were Rod Shepard on guitar, Max “Junior” Colley on sax; and Bill Gorski drums, their name came from Max’s little brother’s pronunciation of “Junior”.

In 1964 the band added Ray Hummel III on vocals and guitar and Rod moved to the bass. Hummel had a distinctive voice, and his talent for folk-influenced songwriting changed the band’s sound. Later on Rick Stevens of the Paeans (who had an unreleased 45 recorded at Fenton) came in to play guitar.

The Ju Jus first 45 had two Hummel originals, the amazingly powerful “You Treat Me Bad” and the fifties-sounding “Hey Little Girl”. The record did well locally, supposedly reaching #2 on a chart in western Michigan in October, 1965. The future looked good and Drummond Records of Detroit offered Ray Hummel a contract based on his songwriting. The band couldn’t sign because a newly-married Ray refused to tour out of state, and Ray soon left the band. He recorded a few solo pop 45s over the years, including “Gentle Rain” / “Fine Day” on Fenton with Max Colley playing sax and Bill Gorski on drums.

Though missing Ray’s unique vocals, their second 45, from 1966, is just as good as their first. “I’m Really Sorry” has been one of my favorite garage songs since I first heard it, and “Do You Understand Me” is a strong Stones-influenced punker with sharp guitar, buzzing sounds and broken glass. The United label is another band-financed record recorded through Fenton.
http://www.garagehangover.com/jujus/

Alt 27.04.2013, 09:25   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #15
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The New Lime - It's Your Turn To Cry

Label: BOSS

The New Lime - Ain't Got No Soul

Label: Counterpart
Info:
The New Lime were one of the biggest bands in SW Ohio and northern Kentucky for years, keeping on top of the dance scene with several local hits and tight, professional sound.

Gary Lee Fausz, from Campbell County HS, was the band's founder and lead singer. Other original or early members included Mickey Foellger on drums, Jim Geyer on keyboards, Fred Stanger on guitar, Mike Boyd on guitar, and Dave Cassell on bass.

The New Lime recorded a 45 for the Louisville Boss label, two more originals featuring "Your Turn to Cry" which is a favorite New Lime side for fans of the 'garage' sound. Shad O'Shea got in touch with the band and signed them to Counterpart. Their first Counterpart 45, "That Girl" was a pretty big local hit and was picked up for national release by Columbia. Several more Counterpart 45s followed in relative short order during '67-'68. Included in these songs, all of which were done at the Allen-Martin studio, was the screaming "Ain't Got No Soul", the favorite of garage band fans (including the editors!). The New Lime hit again with "The Gumdrop Trilogy" which was also picked up by Columbia after hitting locally on Counterpart. It's important to note that almost everything the New Lime recorded were written by the band, primarily Fausz and Foellger. Few local bands have recorded as many quality original songs.

http://www.buckeyebeat.com/newlime.html

Alt 27.04.2013, 10:02   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #16
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Escapades - I Tell No Lies

Label: Arbet
Info:
The Escapades were among the dozens of working teen bands in Memphis in the mid-’60s.

Within a couple months of leaving the Jesters in late 1965, Tommy Minga formed a new version of the Escapades with Bennie Kisner guitar, Ron Gorden keyboards, Dale Roark (not Rourke as has been listed before) bass and Ronny Williamson drums.

They released their first 45, “I Tell No Lies”, on the local Arbet label in January of 1966. The band moves seamlessly from verse to chorus, with swirling organ playing from Gorden and solid bass playing from Roark propelling the rhythm for Tom Minga’s strong vocal. Bennie Kisner provides a neat sitar-like solo on his Rickenbacker.

“She’s the Kind” is a little slower in tempo, and reminds me of the Zombies, Minga at times sounding very much like Colin Blunstone. Ronnie Gorden and Ron Williamson wrote “I Tell No Lies”, while Minga, Gorden and Roark wrote “She’s the Kind”.

This record was picked up by the XL label, but it’s unfortunate that Verve didn’t re-release it when they signed the band soon after its release, as “I Tell No Lies” should have had some chance at chart action.
http://www.garagehangover.com/escapades/

Rockabilly Onlineshop
Alt 27.04.2013, 12:29   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #17
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Tuesday Club - Only Human

Label: Philips
Info:

The Tuesday Club started as the Garfield Air Mattress, a group of musicians from Utah, Colorado and California based in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Members were Tony Decker (vocals, lead guitar) from Salt Lake City, Utah; Darryl Cooper (guitar and keyboards), from Newport Beach, California; Terry Tezak (bass) from Grand Junction, Colorado and Salvador “Pete” Friese (drums) from Fort Collins, Colorado.

In 1967 they relocated to Amarillo, Texas, recording at Checkmate Studios, with Marty Cooper and Ray Ruff producing.
By the time Ruff and Cooper sold their first single to Philips in August, 1967, the group had changed their name to The Tuesday Club.

Even though Tony Decker wrote both sides of the 45, each song is incredibly different from the other; they could almost be by separate bands. The top side is “A Goddess in Many Ways” a gentle paean to a seventeen year old beauty who commits suicide. For years it’s been overshadowed by the flip, the garage classic “Only Human”, but will probably be garnering more fans from the recent resurgence of interest in Fargo. It did reach #24 on Grand Junction AM station KEXO on August 26, 1967.

I’m sure “Only Human” is familiar to every fan of ’60s punk...
http://www.garagehangover.com/tuesdayclub/

Geändert von 'Twas Brillig (27.04.2013 um 12:32 Uhr)

Alt 28.04.2013, 10:55   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #18
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Unrelated Segments - Story Of My Life

Label: Hanna Barbera

The Unrelated Segments - Where You Gonna Go

Label: Liberty

The Unrelated Segments - Cry Cry Cry

Year: 1968
Label: Liberty
Info:
The Unrelated Segments were a band formed in Taylor Michigan by Rory Mack and Ron Stults in '66 other members were John Torok, Barry VanEngland and Andy Angelotti.

Rory Mack: "'Story of My Life' was the first song that we co-wrote together. It was catchy, shuffle, upbeat and had lyrics everyone could relate to (about being used by a woman). When Barry added his unique bass licks, John added the Farfisa (he also played organ); when Andy then did his little drum solo during the bridge of the song...it all fell together. John Torok's dad like what he heard, and was inclined to contact Jack Checkoway to hear the group's original songs.

We were only together for two weeks when we got the band together and played our songs in Chekoway's basement. Jack really liked our unique sound and our songs and invited us to record them at United Sound in Detroit. We recorded 'Story of My Life' and the flip 'It's Not Fair' (which I elaborated bits from the Zombies 'She's Not There' and I added different chord changes, with a simple guitar lick in the middle, etc.) with Ron's hurt lover lyrics and it all came together for our first local hit. It made it to #9 in Detroit on WKNR.

Our second hit, 'Where You Gonna Go,' I thought was a cool song with a cool jammin' guitar riff with the wham bar to start things off, and Barry's very cool "perculator" bass licks backin' things up. It got your attention when you first heard it. With Vietnam on everybody's mind, it really influenced the lyrics that Ron once again fit like a glove. Nothing was certain as a teenager, with every guy wondering if he was going to have to go to 'Nam and get his head blown off, so your future did not look too promising at that time. The angst of the song fit right in with the times and people could relate. I really liked the chord changes in the song and the different moods of the song. It was frustration with an upbeat vengenge--perfect! The flip side, 'It's Gonna Rain,' was kinda bleak, depressing, but once again the chord patterns I put together were different, as they carried the lyrics perfectly. Ron was a master lyric guy.

Our third record, 'Cry, Cry, Cry' once again was a blast. It started out with a teasing, repetitive chord, then went into another unique chord pattern that was catchy. I liked my guitar solo with the fuzztone. I always thought that something was missing to carry the song, like it needed strings or horns to drive the melody better. But, it turned out ok. For some reason it didn't get the airplay it needed to be a hit and it crashed and burned."
http://www.60sgaragebands.com/unrelatedsegments.html

Alt 28.04.2013, 18:12   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #19
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Seeds Of Time - She's Been Travelin' 'Round the World

Label: Morgan
Info:
Mike Lewis and Craig Weidenheimer had been playing with a largely instrumental group at their high school in Monroeville, Alabama, a town about halfway between Mobile and Montgomery. Mike was lead guitarist and Craig played bass and sang. When the older members graduated, Mike and Craig brought in friends Lee Howington (keyboards), Jim Harper (rhythm guitar and sax), and Mike McMillon (drums) and started playing Beatles-influenced rock, first as Robin and His hoods and then as the Seeds of Time.

In 1966 they went into a studio in Montgomery usually used for recording jingles. The band cut two original songs by Mike Lewis, recording live with two vocal mics and doing about three takes for each song. The sound is primitive but each instrument can be heard, if distantly and with some distortion on the vocals. “She’s Been Travelin’ ‘Round the World” is the standout due to Mike McMillon’s quick drum beats, thumping bass playing from Craig, Mike Lewis frantically bending the guitar strings into odd note combinations, and a queasy organ sound. Shouting the lyrics in unison, the vocals drive the needles into the red and make it hard to decipher the lyrics.

Craig Weidenheimer spoke about live shows: “We played fraternity parties, bars (even though we were under age), and school dances but mostly we went from town to town with our record and paid the local DJ’s to play our record. To get them to do it sometimes we would go in and play live to help promote the record. It was something to get on the radio and then everyone wanted to hear live bands. So we would rent an Armory or VFW hall and put up posters that we were coming to town (like the circus) and sometimes we could get large crowds. There was not much else to do. We were referred to as The Seeds by most people, so when the band called The Seeds came out with Pushin’ Too Hard there was some confusion. We actually played the song, so as not to disappoint.”
http://www.garagehangover.com/seedsoftime/

Alt 28.04.2013, 18:41   60s-Garage-Psych-Database-Archive #20
'Twas Brillig
Erfahrener Benutzer

Garage

Standard

The Jesters Of Newport - Stormy

Year: 1965
Label: Solo
Info:

Klassiker den man kennen sollte zum Beispiel von der Back From The Grave Serie, geklaut u.a. von den Gories, leider nix gefunden obwohl ich mir recht sicher war das es einen Beitrag auf "spinthegroove" gab leider funktioniert die Seite gerade oder gar nicht mehr...
Wenn ich Infos später wieder finden sollte ändere ich diesen Beitrag

Geändert von 'Twas Brillig (28.04.2013 um 18:57 Uhr)

Antwort

Zurück   Sub-cultures.de > Subculture Area > Garage Punk Garage Forum

Stichworte
60sgaragepsychdatabase

Themen-Optionen Thema durchsuchen
Thema durchsuchen:

Erweiterte Suche